Friday, April 3, 2009

Proposal Site Texture





Texture:


For my buttons, I want to use a chiseled, stony texture. I am taking my inspiration from Eastern European state-sponsored sculpture. I may add a slightly cracked appearance to some of the buttons to give an ambiance of decay. The backdrop for the text areas will look like weathered newsprint. The head of each page will have a posterized, "propaganda material" look like Soviet posters from the 1920s and 1930s. The texture will be flat with some ripping and tearing. My site will retain the textural and graphical qualities of this art style, but will not employ the same obviously political content.
The forms used will be very angular. I hope to offset some of the visual tension this brings about by making the shapes appear very solid and secure, as well as by using lines that intersect at right angles. Periodically, curved lines will be used at the edges of rectangular forms to give the impression of damage.


Vera Mukhina's statue of the Laborer and the Kolkhoz Woman

Stalin-era propaganda poster

1960s-era propaganda poster. Note the flat colors and worn paper

No comments:

Post a Comment